
For the last six months I have been meeting with a girl named Cat at her school once a week for an hour. I became her mentor through the Big Sisters Big Brothers Program of Calgary. In the beginning I anticipated all of the things that I would help her with: the lessons I could teach, the fun she would have, and the self esteem she would build. Then began the uphill challenges with her. I had no idea how hard it was going to be. Some days with her were great, and we had the best time together. Other days it felt like she didn't want me there at all. She would talk back, cheat at games, deliberately do exactly opposite of what I told her. (A lot like being a parent, I know). I enforced the rules as best I could without breaking her trust or our growing friendship. But it was still like night and day each time I saw her.
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Mentoring
I learned later about her difficult family situation and some of her personal circumstances that helped me understand her better. It was unfortunate that I found this out later, because I might have been able to understand her sooner. It was also a few weeks before I had to stop meeting with her. I also got some great advice from the mentoring co-ordinator later in the sessions that I wasn't able to put to use. Even though it seemed that Cat wasn't taking anything away from my time with her, I know it will resonate with her in later years.
With all this aside I also learned a lot of valuable skills through mentoring.
1. PATIENCE! This was so huge with Cat. I had to count to five and take a breath countless times in order to keep my cool.
2. I am so privileged. I have had a charmed life in comparison to many many people. I also gained a lot of gratitude for my parents.
3. Its ok to let loose and be a silly kid sometimes.
4. Ovens should be heated from the bottom when baking.
5. Having a baby only hurts at the Peter Lougheed Hospital, but not at Rockyview or Foothills. (The wise advice of Cat haha).
6. A grade 4 girl can beat me at basket ball, but I can beat a 19 year old boy at it...hmmmm
7. Sometimes you have to lay down the law, but it is also possible to be a fun person after the rules are enforced.
8. The best way to stop someone from cheating at games, is to do it yourself, and then ask them how they like it when you did that.
9. I wear the same shoes as a grade four girl. haha
10. Being a mentor for the most part is a very rewarding experience for both the mentor and the mentee. I highly recommend it, and I will be doing it again next year hopefully.
Posted by Kristy at 4:21 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment