CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Earth Day


Some things I am pondering this Earth Day:


When people talk about 'saving the earth' I wonder... what do they really mean? The earth really doesn't need to be saved. The earth has done just fine without us 'saving it' for millions and millions of years. It has survived several ice ages, floods, volcanic eruptions and tsunamis. The earth regenerated itself after each and every one of these disasters. So when we say we are trying to 'save the earth' what we are really saying is that we need to save ourselves from the state we have put it in. 

I think we focus to much on the aspects of earth that we are destroying: the animals, the polar ice caps, and the atmosphere...that we forget to see the affect it has on us. I think it is too hard for us sometimes to see that we are hurting ourselves more than the environment around us. It distances ourselves from the issue. Owning up to this would make it all too real, and then we really would have to change. Of course, I am not downplaying the gravity of the state we have put our environment in, because it is this environment we need to protect in order to protect ourselves. 

Just something to think about. I also highly recommend watching the Planet Earth series. It really opens your eyes to the beautiful world we live in. Here are some episodes:

1 comments:

Tamara said...

Hear Hear!!!
Agreed completely.
And I love planet earth :)