Last semester I was quite bored. I only worked one day a week, didn't go to the gym and basically lazed around the house all day. I craved to have something to do but told myself that I needed to see if university was going to get more busy. I didn't want to put more on my plate than I knew I could chew. So the end of the semester came and I knew I would have time for another job. I started applying for jobs at the beginning of January and sent out more than six applications. Within one week, a company got back to me, but it was a plan B job. I really wanted a job as a tutor, but also applied for some other jobs if that didn't work out. I decided to go ahead with the job and continue looking for a tutoring job. So I began calling the tutoring managers and asking if they were still hiring. Either no one replied, or they had already filled the position. I then google searched "calgary tutoring companies" and sent my resume to every single one I could find, and called to ask if they were hiring. Well, the more darts you throw, the better chance you will have to hit the bull's eye. Sure enough, within two days, I had two calls from tutors. I took the first interview that was offered to me, and got the job! So I got what I wished for. But now I am getting more than I wished for and I am starting to feel overwhelmed.
Thursday, February 26, 2009
Be careful what you wish for
Today I have three jobs, and something every day after school. At the same time I am trying to be more heathy by going to the gym 3-5 days a week. I also need time to do homework and see friends every once and a while. The thing is, is that our world fosters workaholics. It is unacceptable for someone to turn down a larger work load for a personal life. You can't say to your boss, no I can take on those hours because that's when I go to the gym, or see my boyfriend. Recently, my tutoring boss asked me to take on a third student, when I was prepared to only have 2. I agreed because he was in a desperate situation. Even though this is only one more hour a week, it is also one more day a week I have work. For the most part I enjoy being busy. It keeps my priorities straight and I don't procrastinate as much. Right now it seems I am on a tipping point between being contently busy and way too busy. I just don't want to feel the same as last year with chest pains every day and feeling like I am on the verge of a heart attack. That was not fun. Learning how to say no is very hard sometimes, and knowing what my limits are can be even more challenging.
Posted by Kristy at 1:39 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Even though our society does foster workaholics, we really do need to learn to take time for ourselves (well I don't, I need to work more lol). You were saying how you might leave one of your jobs, that might be a good idea, so you have more you time, especially with the other things going on in your life.
<3 love
because you just might get it! ya! you just might get it! ya! you just might get it!
Im quoting the pussy cat dolls
thats just sad
ps Im with Tamara quit one
Haha nice angela! Thanks for the advice guys. I think I have the perfect solution. I am done teaching art in 3 weeks, and after that I have a month off. For next session I will just teach once a week instead of two. =) (the result of a night awake thinking bout it lol).
Post a Comment