The dictionary defines intuition as: instinctive knowing without the use of reason. I define it as the gut feeling that you get that tells you when something is wrong or something is right. Some people might say it is your conscience. Whatever it is, it is a large part of our decision making process. Everyone feels this multiple times in a day. Most of the time I think we ignore it and when we do, it doesn't always end up being positive.
One for me lately was an instance where I received a call from a prospective employer's receptionist. The receptionist seemed to have very poor communication skills and had a negative attitude toward me when she called. Overall, I got a bad feeling about her and the prospective job. I agreed to have an interview with them anyways to see if the first impression the receptionist left was not a reflection of the whole company. The interview went very similarly. The man who interviewed me had a very thick Asian accent and he was hard to understand. Also, he tried to give the illusion that he was flexible about my schedule but at the same time he insisted on me considering working one more day a week than I wanted to. They seemed like they were going to offer me the job, and in a way they did, but they didn't make it completely clear. I considered seriously taking the job and trying out the 3 days a week they wanted from me. But this nagging feeling in my gut kept coming back up in my throat and I knew it was telling me that I shouldn't take the job. It was hard for me because it was a job I really wanted, but not with a company that I felt was reputable and trust worthy.
In the end it wouldn't have been a huge tragedy if I had taken the job. But I have had a bad habit in the past of "just seeing how it goes", and ending up in a situation that is stressful and harder to get out of. I guess my turning down the job was me practicing my intuitive control. Maybe a situation in the future will come up that I will need to get myself out of before it becomes dangerous, and I will be able to say no more easily.
Have you had to use your intuition in a situation where there was as much to gain as there was to loose?

1 comments:
I'm proud of you for turning it down, sometimes you've just got to trust your gut. Was this the tutoring job?
I can't think of a particular situation where I've relied on my intuition...hmmm.
<3
Post a Comment