CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Art of Chaos

Anyone who has ever seen the state of my room knows that I seem to be allergic to cleanliness and order. I cant keep my room clean for more than a few hours, and not because of lack of trying, it just seems to happen. Time and time again I hear from people like my mom that a "Cluttered room is a cluttered mind", or "A disorganized space is a disorganized mind". To this I always reply "An empty room is an empty mind". On the surface it seems that my aversion to having an orderly room stems from my rebellion toward my mom wanting me to keep it tidy. It could also be as simple as plain laziness. Both of these reasons are definitely true, however, can we be born messy? If I look a bit deeper it seems that what they say about your mind reflecting how you keep the environment around you might just be true. If I look at some aspects of my personality, it seems that my methods of thinking and my methods of living have some correlation. 


For example, my creative process is anything but orderly or organized. When I am coming up with ideas for new pieces of art most of my ideas come as fleeting thoughts. I see one or two details in my head but then my mind switches to a new idea within seconds. If I come to an idea that I really connect with I will start to consider more of how it will look in detail. Most of the time these ideas come when I am unable to write the down, for example, in the car or during the last few minutes before I fall asleep. So often I get home or wake up and the idea has mostly left my head. 

The way I treat my thoughts reflects on my level of organization. I tend to drop things where I take them off, as fleeting gestures that tend to catch up with me. I tend to move from these actions so quickly that I never consider taking the extra 2 seconds to put things where they belong. The consequence is that I end up with piles of things later that take hours to put away. I've never thought of myself as a procrastinator, but the symptoms are all there. The only difference is that I never stop to think about it long enough to realize what it is. 

In conclusion, whether it is my born condition to be a bit of a slob, or it is a conscious choice to be lazy, it works for me. I barely ever get frustrated with the state of my room unless it is someone getting on my case, or I actually cause myself bodily harm. I know where everything is, and I clean it when I need something, (like underwear or space to draw or exercise). Just like organization works for someone, so can messiness (organized chaos is how I see it). 

3 comments:

Rachel said...

OMG!!!!
I am EXACTLY the same way. Honestly, it takes me days and days to get my room all clean, and then within a few hours, it is a complete mess again!!!
I really only clean off my desk when I need to do homework on it, or clear off a space of something to set down something else lol

♥B said...

Hhaha 'An empty room is an empty mind'! That's brilliant! I'm the same way Kristy except I'm long accepted that I'm a procrastionater. Don't laugh but I always write my self long notes about simple stuff I have to do. And then I keep the list somewhere I can see it and just look at it for days (or weeks) and then finally do it. It's terrible. Sometimes I pretend I'm a Sim's character and just do the things on the list like I'm programmed and don't stop for anything. Try it sometime =) It's kind of fun.

And the thing about the room. Exact same. Plus I think that a tidy room just doesn't have that "Lived in" feel. Know what I'm talking about?

Tamara said...

I definitely know what you mean about chaos working for you. My room is never clean. I try to keep it somewhat tidy, but I have so much clutter that it can never be truly clean and organized even if I spend hours on it. But that's the way I like things... I like seeing my slippers in the middle of the floor and thinking "my feet are cold, I'll put them on" or finding some chords to a song on my chair and then picking up my guitar and playing them. Or just turning around and seeing my many pictures of friends.
I also just leave things where I drop them.

<3 love you