I find that I am learning a lot more than how to make dozens of perfectly straight lines, how to convert colour to shades of gray, and how to translate what my eye sees to a drawing on paper. I often reflect on how the techniques I am practicing can be translated into real life lessons.
For example: When drawing something in perspective all is not as it seems. Hallways do not actually get smaller in real life, but when you are looking at it, it seems to be that way. In other words, you can't always trust appearances because when you look at something closer you learn the truth about things. This reminds me of many situations in life. 1. You shouldn't always trust your first impressions of people, give everyone at least two chances to change your mind. 2. Someone might give an outer exterior of happiness when they are hurting inside- always lend a hug or a listening ear even if they say nothing is wrong. 3. You may know what direction you are going in life, but you can never know for sure when your time is running out- live life to the fullest.
75% of my projects so far this year have been about drawing line after straight fricken perfect line. This has confirmed to me something I have always known in life, that being a "straight line" is boring. Being unique and not worrying about what other people think is the only way to be interesting and make life exciting.
I am also learning about life through the people in my classes. The Faculty of Fine Arts is filled with so many unique and interesting people to get to know. I am so inspired by all of the passionate and dedicated artists around me. For one of the first times in my life, I am with people who have been through the same struggles to get to this place. We all went through convincing our family that art school and and a visual arts career is the best choice for us. We all get the same look from people when you tell them that you are going to art school. Their faces all say "Wow good for you, but look forward to poverty and fast food jobs in 4 years". Finally many of us have had some difficult life situations that lead us to expression through art. It is so nice to walk into a room where there is no judgement, only people who understand you and are ready to be your friend.
Tomorrow my prof says we are going to get some relationship advice...

3 comments:
Bachelor of Arts for the win! Don't worry I am looking forward to poverty and fast food jobs too =)
very nice second blog, very impressive!
I know I am taking different kinds of classes, but Im also surprised at how much most of the stuff I am learning translates into real life (especially in A History of Ideas). compared to University, high school just seems so detached from real life.
Hey Kristy! Great blog. I love lists. I loved the part about the straight line. Are your projects really like that? That must be so conforting to just be in the same room with people that have the same dreams and goals as you. I'm really happy for you and I hope your dreams of becoming an even better artist in the future come true.
YAY FOR GETTING A BLOG!!!
Defs loved this blog! I wish I was learning real life lessons from my classes.
I'm so happy that you are persuing art, and meeting people with the same goals as you!
Post a Comment